Let’s quickly summarize the main content of development:
- Most of your content will be text, so beautiful typography is a key element to a good looking website.
- Images are getting more and more important in webdesign, so choosing great images and putting text on them is an essential part of your work.
- Icons are also a good way of setting a friendly tone for your website, but use them carefully.
- The adequate use of whitespace makes a website look professionally designed, so use it a lot, but in the correct way.
- Build a layout by defining the visual hierarchy of your content. Whitespace is also important for this.
- Your website should be designed in a way that ensures that both the user and the owner of the website achieve their goals. This is the user experience.
- It is very important that you get inspired by studying well-designed websites from other designers.
It is very important that you have all of the guidelines in mind at the same time when you’re making your designs.
- Use a font-size between 15 and 25 pixels for body text
- Use (really) big font sizes for headlines
- Use a line spacing between 120 and 150% of the font size
- 45 to 90 characters per line
- Use good fonts
- Chose a font which reflects the look and feel you want for your website
- Use only one font
Using Colors Like a Pro
- Use only one base color
- Use a tool if you want to use more colors
- Use color to draw attention
- Never use black in your design
- Choose colors wisely
Working with Images
- Put text directly on the image
- Overlay the image
- Put your text in a box
- Blur the image
- The floor fade
Working with icons
- Use icons to list features/steps
- Use icons for actions and links
- Icons should be recognizable
- Label your icons
- Icons should not take a center stage
- Use icon fonts whenever possible
Spacing and layout
- Put whitespace between your elements
- Put whitespace between your groups of elements
- Put whitespace between you website’s sections
- Define where you want your audience to look first
- Establish a flow that corresponds to your content’s message
- Use whitespace to build that flow
Improve your website’s conversion
- Build trust with your future customer
- Repeat your primary action
- Grab your user’s attention
- Tell your user the benefit
- Don’t ask for too much information
- Use social proof
- Use urgency
- Use scarcity